Most of us tend to believe that newly-installed equipment will last as long as the manufacturer claims. However, this is not the case, especially if you have invested on Uninterruptible Power Supply (UPS) for your data centers or ICT systems. A number of external and unavoidable factors can reduce the lifespan and efficiency of your UPS systems. If unattended, the consequences of UPS failure can cost in millions. IT downtime results in compromised SLA, loss of credibility, and lost revenue which with some precautions are easily avoidable.
Matthias Machowinski, the Research Director for Enterprise Networks and Video at HIS, in a research said that the cost of ICT downtime can range from $1 million a year for a typical mid-size company to $60 million for a large enterprise. The IHS study further investigated that 78 percent of the cost was due to the loss of productivity, 17 percent was due to lost businesses, and remaining 5 percent was due to fixing the UPS problems.
Being proactive and vigilant on your UPS monitoring checklist helps you avoid consequential costs of repair, remedy, damage, penalty, and third-party service obligations. Whether your IT department wants to maintain its service quality standard or expand operational units, an annual expense for routine UPS maintenance is always predictable and less expensive than the hefty IT downtime cost.
Awareness Is the Key
Do you know that most of the single phase batteries, labeled as maintenance-free, do not necessarily save you from routine annual maintenance? They only mean that you do not need any replacement fluid for those batteries. In fact, the lack of preventive maintenance only adds to your operational problems and overhead cost.
Count on Lifespan When Calculating Cost Savings
Large UPS batteries, in general, have 15 to 20 years of lifespan, whereas small batteries last around 10 years. However, we often end up replacing them sooner due to non-maintenance. Moreover, the basic warranty coverage you get from the manufacturer does not make more than 5 to 10 percent of the product purchase value. So, the warranty given your manufacturer does not really help much.
A routine monitoring service instead can extend the lifespan of your Uninterruptible Power Supply. The service includes end-to-end solution – whether you need to replace batteries, capacitors, and any other parts or install upgrades and modification kits.
Opt for All-Inclusive Preventive Maintenance Service
There are Managed Service Providers (MSPs) whom you can outsource the entire monitoring and maintenance job and stay relieved. However, while evaluating a service plan, it is important that you pay special attention to the service coverage types and mode of service delivery. Following some guidelines of Uninterruptible Power Supply monitoring service will help you take informed decisions.
Here is a checklist to select a comprehensive UPS monitoring service plan:
- Choose UPS electronics components and labor coverage. Ask your vendor for the details.
- Include battery parts and labor coverage. Replace batteries at least in every five years. Comprehensive battery service includes routine inspection, cleaning, testing, and quick replacement of defective batteries.
- Opt for an end-to-end preventive maintenance plan and ensure factory-specified performance. This includes annual inspection, testing, calibration, and upgrade of UPS and battery parts by field technicians.
- Plan the frequency of service delivery. You may want the service technician to respond and deliver at any time (24×7) including holidays and weekends.
- Identify response time suitable for your business and weigh it against the cost of downtime. Most service providers ask you to choose from 2-hour, 4-hour, 8-hour, and next business day plans.
- Indulge in remote monitoring service. Uninterruptible Power Supply service providers can help you identify potential threats before they aggravate and cost you heavy. Frequent monitoring helps address problem rapidly and extend the lifespan of UPS.
- Ask for multi-device support and enable automatic alerts. This ensures total coverage for a wide range of devices including single phase, three-phase UPS, cooling and environmental devices, power distribution units, and quicker response times.
- Request a technician who knows your systems environment well and has been doing a good job over a period of time for your IT staff.
- Ask for skilled field technicians from your service provider. Check if the technicians have undergone proper ongoing factory training, certification programs, and have proved their capability in handling the latest UPS systems and related machinery.
- Ensure that your service provider has immediate access to major UPS parts in case of UPS breakdown. Even the best-qualified technician cannot make any progress unless the parts are readily available.
Choose Optimum Service Delivery Model
There are three options. First, your contract may include ‘depot exchange repair or replace’ where you need to send the faulty UPS to the service provider and they ship you a repaired unit in return. It takes some time. Second, you can opt for advance swap depot exchange where the provider sends you refurbished unit in case of UPS failure and then collects the original UPS from your facility in exchange. The third option is on-site repair which is the fastest way to derive solution to technical issues.
If your product is rated below 1,000 VA, depot exchange plan is cost-effective. For Uninterruptible Power Supply rated above 1,000 VA, the advance swap depot exchange or an on-site repair works well. Your selection completely depends on the type of UPS products you use and the emergency you have to fix them.
Precautions save your time and money when it comes to IT inventory management. Consulting an MSP and selecting a suitable service plan help you avoid facing the worst consequences. Deploying technicians with the desired set of skills and a dedicated team of support personnel ensure that your UPS provides uninterrupted service for your IT stuff. So keep vigilant and be prudent while selecting your UPS maintenance service provider.
If you are confused where to get best quality UPS and Battery equipment, you can visit Lorbel store. This is our mega store with a wide collection of battery backup equipment of reputed brands. For detailed information about UPS and Battery backup brands, kindly